If you are in Alkmaar, then you certainly should not skip the inner courts or courtyards. Alkmaar once had no fewer than sixteen courtyards. There are now six. The ‘provenhuizen’, as the courtyards in Alkmaar are called, are oases of tranquillity, hidden behind gates and impressive facades.
In the Sonoy courtyard, you can enjoy one of the terraces, or browse through the little boutique shops. Residents still live at the other courtyards.
- The Huis van Zessen (from 1510) on the Schoutenstraat
- The Provenhuis Paling en Van Foreest (from 1540) on the Zevenhuizen
- The Doopsgezinde Hofje (from 1617) on the Koningsweg
- The Huis van Achten (from 1657) on the Lombardsteeg
- Provenhuis Bijlevelt (from 1668) on the Doelenstraat