Discover a real Alkmaar Treasure: hofjes. A hofje is a historic small inner courtyard surrounded by houses. This page explains more about the famous courtyards that can still be found through Alkmaar.
The 'Alkmaarse Hofjes' (courtyards)
When you are in Alkmaar, then you cannot miss the courtyards. In the Sonoy courtyard, you can enjoy one of the terraces, or browse through the little boutique shops. Residents still live at the other courtyards.
Visiting a courtyard? The following are open for viewing:
- The Hofje van Splinter (from 1646) on the Ritsevoort
- The Wildemanshofje (from 1714) on the Oudegracht
These Alkmaar courtyards are only open during the Open Monuments Day:
- The Huis van Zessen (from 1510) on the Schoutenstraat
- The Provenhuis Paling en Van Foreest (from 1540) on the Zevenhuizen
- The Doopsgezinde Hofje (from 1617) on the Koningsweg
- The Huis van Achten (from 1657) on the Lombardsteeg
- Provenhuis Bijlevelt (from 1668) on the Doelenstraat